IDG News Service - Organizers of the upcoming OpenSource World conference broadened the event program and are offering free admission, hoping to attract more attendees in a time of slashed travel budgets and increased competition from similar shows.
The conference was previously known as LinuxWorld. This year's event is scheduled for Aug. 12-13 in San Francisco's Moscone Center.
Key topics will include Drizzle, a database project based on the MySQL codebase, mobile development and security, said event chairman Don Marti. The CloudWorld and Next Generation Data Center events will run concurrently with OpenSource World.
But perhaps the most telling change is the decision to drop admission charges for qualified IT professionals and to instead gain revenue solely from sponsorships.
Organizers have implemented a qualifying process in order to weed out marketing staffers from vendors that aren't exhibiting at the show, but might be interested in attending to check out the competition, Marti said.
"The kind of people the program committee wants to reach are those hardcore sysadmins and working IT managers," he said.
"We want them to get something out of it that they can take back to the office," Marti added. "This is not just a high-level strategy show."
What's not yet clear is how many such individuals the event will attract, given that the global economic recession has put a damper on tech trade-show attendance overall in recent months.
Current attendance figures for the event, which is backed by IDG World Expo, a division of IDG News Service and Computerworld's parent corporation, weren't immediately available today.
"Every show in the whole IT market is in trouble," Marti said. "Travel budgets are tight and training budgets are tight. ... This show's affected by the same conditions as other shows."
There is also a great deal of competition from other open-source events, such as LinuxCon, he added.
But OpenSource World nonetheless has "a good long-term story," he said.
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts