Analysis: Why is AT&T late on MMS, tethering for iPhone 3G S?
Billing issues might explain tethering delay, systems upgrades for no MMS
Computerworld - When it comes to the Apple Inc. iPhone, users want a lot of things. Among those things on their wish lists are MMS support and tethering that would allow them to use the devices to connect a laptop to the Internet wirelessly. Although both are possible on the upcoming iPhone 3G S, AT&T -- the exclusive iPhone carrier in the U.S. -- doesn't yet offer tethering and won't deliver on multimedia messaging until later this summer.
Which raises this question: What's taking AT&T so long?
The delays in offering both features, which are available on other networks, brought jeers from the developers attending the unveiling of the new iPhone 3G S yesterday at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC). Not surprisingly, heated comments quickly mounted online.
And today, Free Press, a Washington-based nonpartisan group devoted to universal access to the Internet, issued a statement saying AT&T's delay is "impeding innovation instead of promoting it."
Chris Riley, policy counsel at Free Press, called on Congress to make illegal the kind of exclusive deals AT&T has with Apple Inc. with the iPhone. "We cannot afford to allow AT&T or any other company to stand in the way of progress," Riley said in a statement.
MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) is a way to send photos, video and other types of digital media over a wireless network; tethering is a means of attaching a wireless device such as an iPhone to a laptop via a cable or Bluetooth and using the device as a wireless modem.
Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T Mobility, expounded a bit more in an interview today about why both MMS and tethering have been delayed.
"The why on MMS is absolutely unrelated our 3G network," Siegel said in a telephone interview. "It has to do with internal systems upgrades and we want to have those ready before we offer MMS. We want to let customers know that the delay is unrelated to our network."
MMS will be available by the end of the summer, he repeated.
"With tethering, we will offer a plan for that and just have not said when yet," Siegel said. "I can tell you that both are a matter of when and not if."
Siegel, who had no more to add, declined to respond to the concerns raised by Free Press or others who have speculated about why AT&T is delaying both services.
Analysts widely believe that the delays are both because of the AT&T systems supporting the technology, if not because of the actual 3G network itself, and how prepared AT&T is to handle billing for the services, since it might lose out on revenues for broadband aircards now sold for laptops.
Apple iPhone 3G S
- iPhone surcharge protest underscores carriers' loss of control
- AT&T has 48 hours to answer iPhone pricing complaints, says crisis expert
- Angry iPhone owners blast AT&T over upgrade pricing
- What do Snow Leopard, iPhone 3G S and its new OS mean for business?
- David Coursey: iPhone is all about the apps
- Analysis: Why is AT&T late on MMS, tethering for new iPhone?
- iPhone 3G S still not enterprise-ready, analysts say
- iPhone 3G S vs Palm Pre: The battle begins
- Apple unveils faster iPhone 3G S, slates June 19 launch
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts