Bing overtakes Yahoo in global search wars
In matter of days, Microsoft's search passes Yahoo for No. 2 spot behind Google
Computerworld - It didn't take very long - less than a week - for Microsoft Corp.'s Bing to surpass Yahoo Inc. to become the number two search engine in the U.S. and worldwide.
A report today from StatCounter Global Stats, which analyzes Web site traffic, also shows that Bing grabbed some market share from rival Google Inc. StatCounter analyzed search engine use on Thursday and found that while Google still dominates the U.S. search engine market with a 71.47% share, Bing grabbed 16.28% and Yahoo came in third with 10.22%.
"It remains to be seen if Bing falls away after the initial novelty and promotion but at first sight it looks like Microsoft is on to a winner," said Aodhan Cullen, CEO of StatCounter, in a statement. "Steve Ballmer is quoted as saying that he wanted Microsoft to become the second biggest search engine within five years. Following the breakdown in talks to acquire Yahoo at a cost of $40 billion, it looks as if he may have just achieved that with Bing much sooner and a lot cheaper than anticipated."
Microsoft first took the wrappers off Bing -- which they're trying to dub a "decision" engine, rather than a search engine -- on May 28. at the All Things Digital Conference in Carlsbad, Calif. The company had initially said the service would be up and running June 3, but had it operational two days early.
Bing is the update to Microsoft's far-from-beloved Live Search. The update, which was code-named Kumo, comes with a phalanx of related services, including Bing Travel, Cashback and Maps for Enterprise. Paired with the company's hefty marketing muscle, the new service is expected to help Microsoft take on search behemoth Google.
According to StatCounter, the plan might be working, at least at the outset.
In the worldwide search engine market, Bing is holding its own. StatCounter reported that Bing grabbed 5.62% of the market, squeaking past Yahoo, which has 5.13%. Google still dominates, though, with 87.62%.
- Microsoft's Bing: 5 Features that give it a shot against Google
- Microsoft's Bing off to an early start
- Analysts: Microsoft's Bing a good start, but no game changer
- Microsoft's Bing fires salvo at Google
- Microsoft Bing: A visual tour of what's new
- Hands on with Microsoft Bing
- Microsoft picks Bing as name for new search engine
- Analysis: Will Microsoft take a bite out of Google Search?
- Google adds tools to help search users dig deeper
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!