Report: Hiring by tech companies under DOJ investigation
Focus unclear, but antitrust probe said to target Google, Yahoo, Apple and others
IDG News Service - The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is investigating whether the hiring practices of Google, Yahoo, Apple and some other technology companies may have violated anti-trust regulations, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
The focus of the investigation is not clear, but appears to address the possible agreements among these companies not to poach top executives from one another. The investigation includes biotech company Genentech, as well as other tech companies the Post said, citing two unidentified sources.
The reported move by the DOJ reflects plans for a more aggressive approach to antitrust enforcement by the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama.
Christine Varney, assistant attorney general in charge of the DOJ's Antitrust Division, said last month that as part of an overall plan to get tougher on antitrust concerns, the DOJ should take a close look at the high-tech and Internet industries and new ways of measuring antitrust activity there.
A number of tech companies, including Google, have been under scrutiny in the U.S. for possible antitrust behavior. The Federal Trade Commission is said to be investigating whether the close ties between Apple's and Google's boards of directors violate antitrust laws. Google's deal with authors and publishers on scanning of books has also attracted government scrutiny in the U.S.
The DOJ could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Government IT Webcasts