InfoWorld - 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 AwardsBrian YoungCIOCreighton University
Things tend to happen rather slowly in academia. But over the last 18 months at Creighton University, CIO Brian Young and his IT department have been working at a blistering pace. During that time Young has successfully led efforts to upgrade the main datacenter, accelerate the growth of online learning programs, use virtualization to reduce energy costs, and expand wireless infrastructure. But he is most proud of the calendar project.
A Web calendaring application may seem like no big deal. But Creighton University, like most educational institutions, faced a daily challenge of communicating event information to a diverse audience of students, faculty, staff, and alumni -- resulting in a hodgepodge of independent calendars that serve various schools, colleges, programs, and campus groups. Overlapping events and double-booked resources prevailed, not to mention the eternal question: Which calendar has the event I'm looking for?
The solution was to create a simple, single calendar that would provide the total picture of academic, student, athletic, and campus events. To accomplish this, says Young, "I issued an 'insourcing' challenge to the women and men of my division to brainstorm and develop a solution that would solve the calendar conundrum. The team developed a feature-rich system easily customizable for any campus, business, or community."
Young had the calendar patented and Creighton is now reselling it to other colleges and universities around the globe. But clearly, Young's greatest satisfaction derives from the process and the people who developed solution. He expresses "great pride" that the "outstanding in-house talent of the Creighton IT team was ready, willing, and able to step up to the insourcing challenge." Score one for CU.
[ Discover how the lessons learned from the 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 Award winners can help your IT efforts. ]
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts