InfoWorld - 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 AwardsBrian YoungCIOCreighton University
Things tend to happen rather slowly in academia. But over the last 18 months at Creighton University, CIO Brian Young and his IT department have been working at a blistering pace. During that time Young has successfully led efforts to upgrade the main datacenter, accelerate the growth of online learning programs, use virtualization to reduce energy costs, and expand wireless infrastructure. But he is most proud of the calendar project.
A Web calendaring application may seem like no big deal. But Creighton University, like most educational institutions, faced a daily challenge of communicating event information to a diverse audience of students, faculty, staff, and alumni -- resulting in a hodgepodge of independent calendars that serve various schools, colleges, programs, and campus groups. Overlapping events and double-booked resources prevailed, not to mention the eternal question: Which calendar has the event I'm looking for?
The solution was to create a simple, single calendar that would provide the total picture of academic, student, athletic, and campus events. To accomplish this, says Young, "I issued an 'insourcing' challenge to the women and men of my division to brainstorm and develop a solution that would solve the calendar conundrum. The team developed a feature-rich system easily customizable for any campus, business, or community."
Young had the calendar patented and Creighton is now reselling it to other colleges and universities around the globe. But clearly, Young's greatest satisfaction derives from the process and the people who developed solution. He expresses "great pride" that the "outstanding in-house talent of the Creighton IT team was ready, willing, and able to step up to the insourcing challenge." Score one for CU.
[ Discover how the lessons learned from the 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 Award winners can help your IT efforts. ]
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- Store Everything. Analyze Anything, Build the Right Thing. The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts