InfoWorld - 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 AwardsBrian YoungCIOCreighton University
Things tend to happen rather slowly in academia. But over the last 18 months at Creighton University, CIO Brian Young and his IT department have been working at a blistering pace. During that time Young has successfully led efforts to upgrade the main datacenter, accelerate the growth of online learning programs, use virtualization to reduce energy costs, and expand wireless infrastructure. But he is most proud of the calendar project.
A Web calendaring application may seem like no big deal. But Creighton University, like most educational institutions, faced a daily challenge of communicating event information to a diverse audience of students, faculty, staff, and alumni -- resulting in a hodgepodge of independent calendars that serve various schools, colleges, programs, and campus groups. Overlapping events and double-booked resources prevailed, not to mention the eternal question: Which calendar has the event I'm looking for?
The solution was to create a simple, single calendar that would provide the total picture of academic, student, athletic, and campus events. To accomplish this, says Young, "I issued an 'insourcing' challenge to the women and men of my division to brainstorm and develop a solution that would solve the calendar conundrum. The team developed a feature-rich system easily customizable for any campus, business, or community."
Young had the calendar patented and Creighton is now reselling it to other colleges and universities around the globe. But clearly, Young's greatest satisfaction derives from the process and the people who developed solution. He expresses "great pride" that the "outstanding in-house talent of the Creighton IT team was ready, willing, and able to step up to the insourcing challenge." Score one for CU.
[ Discover how the lessons learned from the 2009 InfoWorld CTO 25 Award winners can help your IT efforts. ]
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts