Mobile banking expected to soar in next few years
Rise of smartphones, user needs expected to fuel growth
Computerworld - The number of people actively using mobile banking in the U.S. will grow by more than five times by the end of 2013, Tower Group Inc. predicted in a report released yesterday.
In fact, that number is expected to double this year alone to 10 million users, up from 4.9 million users in 2008. In 2013, 53.1 million users will be banking with their smartphones and other devices, more than five times the number likely to do so this year, the analyst group said.
Several banks have up to 10% of their online banking customers using the mobile banking capability, while one unnamed bank told Tower that 25% of its online users are also doing mobile banking. Earlier this year, Tower said, Bank of America said it had nearly two million mobile banking customers, twice the number it had nine months earlier.
Tower analyst Charul Vyas said that the popularity of smartphones, particularly the Apple Inc. iPhone, has helped the growth in mobile banking. Bank of America mobile banking was one of the very first applications available on the first generation iPhone.
According to Vyas, the number of banks rolling out mobile banking efforts increases by hundreds of banks each month, and now includes small and medium-sized banks who learned from pilot programs of larger banks.
The recession has prompted consumers to more carefully manage their finances, and Vyas said that instant access to financial information -- coupled with the ability to quickly move funds over a mobile device -- can help. "Mobile is the only channel that provides this level of immediacy," Vyas said.
Another finding of the report is that mobile phone use is high across all demographic and socioeconomic groups, unlike desktop Internet use. That means that mobile banking technology can draw in new "unbanked" customers.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts