CIS issues free benchmark on iPhone security
Set of recommendations is designed to reduce attacks, help in erasing data
Computerworld - The nonprofit Center for Internet Security today released what it termed the industry's only consensus security benchmark for the iPhone, which is aimed at helping IT managers and users reduce the risk of data stored on the device from being compromised.
The benchmark is free with a required registration at the CIS Web site.
The document takes users through more than 20 simple recommendations for system settings, Safari settings and iPhone Configuration Utility settings, a spokeswoman said. Using the recommendations is designed to help reduce the the chance of a remote attack, with instructions on securely erasing data and setting up strong passwords.
A separate benchmark for multi-function device security provides configuration and deployment guidance for business printers, copiers, scanners and fax machines.
The iPhone benchmark applies to iPhone OS version 2.2.1 and the iPhone Configuratioin Utility version 1.1.043, CIS said.
Blake Frantz, chief technology officer at CIS, said the iPhone presents "security challenges" for enterprises. Some large businesses, such as Kraft Foods and Oracle Corp., have adopted the iPhone for workers on a large scale, although there have been some holdouts in the financial sector, including Bank of America, over security concerns.
Over the past year, CIS has had more than 1 million downloads of its benchmarks, which it develops according to a wide range of standards and with input from 150 members in corporations, government, universities and security organizations, the CIS Web site said.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!