Lenovo launches IdeaPad S12, the first Nvidia Ion-powered netbook
$449 netbook targets TV, multimedia lovers
Computerworld - Targeting TV and movie lovers, Lenovo Group Ltd. today announced the first netbook that can be equipped with Nvidia Inc.'s Ion platform for high-definition video.
Due in June, the 3-pound IdeaPad S12 will be the second product from a major PC maker to come with Nvidia's Ion, which combines Intel's popular Atom N270 CPU with Nvidia's 9400M integrated graphics chip.
Acer Inc. has already released an Ion-powered mini-desktop PC, the AspireRevo nettop.
Microsoft Corp. has also given Ion its stamp of approval to run the upcoming Windows 7 operating system.
Nvidia has faced trouble gaining acceptance for Ion, due to Intel Corp.'s aggressive bundling of the Atom CPU with its own integrated graphics chips.
Indeed, IdeaPad S12 buyers who choose to swap out the customary Intel integrated graphics chip for Nvidia's more-powerful GPU will have to pay $50 extra on top of S12's $449 base price, said Charles Farmer, market manager for Lenovo's consumer notebooks and desktops group.
However, it will allow owners of the S12 to watch TV shows or movies at 1080p high-definition on either the netbook's 12-inch screen (1280x800 resolution) or on an external TV via an HDMI-out port, he said.
The S12 will run Windows XP on a 160GB hard drive and willl come in two colors, black and white.
Farmer declined to confirm if the S12 will be offered with Windows 7 after the operating system's scheduled release this fall. He also declined to comment on whether Lenovo will add DVD drives to its S-line of netbooks.
Asus Inc. is releasing the 1004DN netbook with a DVD drive starting in the mid-$500 range.
Despite the S12's 12-inch screen, Farmer was hesitant to declare the supersizing of netbooks a definite trend.
The "sweet spot of the netbook category, where all of the competition is, is still at 10-inch screens," he said. "We'll see what happens in the future."
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!