NetApp agrees to pay $1.5B for Data Domain
NetApp says deal will allow it to sell data de-duplication tools to multi-vendor sites
Computerworld - NetApp Inc. today said it has agreed to acquire top data de-duplication vendor Data Domain Inc. in a cash and stock deal valued at $1.5 billion.
In a conference call following the initial online announcement, NetApp Chief Marketing Officer Jay Kidd said the company will focus on selling the Data Domain technology into "multi-vendor environments."
NetApp's own A-SIS data de-duplication technology -- once sold as a standalone product -- is offered as part of the Data OnTap operating system that runs the company's network-attached storage arrays. The de-duplication technology will continue to target primary storage environments.
The Data Domain de-duplication appliances are point products that are installed between primary storage arrays and tape archives or virtual tape library disk subsystems.
Data de-duplication, or single-instance storage, involves the elimination of redundant data. Hash algorithms mark data blocks with unique numbers, and those numbers are compared so that duplicate pieces of data can be left out of the storage process.
NetApp CEO Dan Warmenhoven, said he expects the deal to close in 60 to 120 days. "This combination is a great opportunity for both NetApp and Data Domain," Warmenhoven said. "NetApp has the distribution channels and international reach to offer Data Domain products to more customers, accelerating growth and market adoption."
Santa Clara, Calif-based Data Domain has 825 employees and reported $274 million in revenue last year.
NetApp said the Data Domain product group will become part of its product operations organization, while its sales organization will be integrated with the NetApp sales operation.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Report: Back Up Critical Cloud Data before It's Too Late Read the February 2014 Forrester Research Inc. Report, Back Up Your Critical Cloud Data Before It's Too Late: Cloud-To-Cloud Backup Emerges As A...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts