Google News stutters for second day in a row
Glitches plague Google again; Multiple sites hit with three slowdowns in the past week
Computerworld - For the second day in a row, Google News had a glitch that derailed Google Inc.'s news aggregation site for a short time this morning.
Google News was down for what appeared to be less than 15 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. EDT today. It wasn't a long outage but it was the second in two days and the third in less than a week. Google confirmed today that a "small percentage of users" received a 503 Server Error when trying to call up the service.
"This issue has now been resolved," said Gabriel Stricker, a Google spokesman. "We know how important Google News is to our users, so we take issues like this very seriously. We apologize to those users who were affected."
Stricker did not say what caused the short outage or how many users were affected.
On Monday, Google News went down between 8:35 a.m. EDT and 10 a.m. EDT. Some users trying to pull up the site received the same 503 Server Error message that was received today.
This week's glitches comes on the heels of a much bigger outage last Thursday that affected most Google products.
At the time, Google Search and Google News performance slowed to a crawl, while a full outage spread throughout the hosted Google Apps products, including Gmail, Google Maps and Google Reader. Comments about the failure were flying on Twitter, and "googlefail" quickly became one of the most-searched terms on the popular microblogging site.
Google reported that the May 14 outage, which started a little before 11 a.m. EDT, caused about 14% of Google users to experience slow service or interruptions. The problem affected all Google products.
Urs Hoelzle, Google senior vice president of operations, said in a blog post last week that a system error directed some of the company's Web traffic through Asia, creating the hangups and interruptions.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts