Paid Twitter services coming by year's end
It's preparing to launch new tools and services for businesses
IDG News Service - Twitter is steering clear of advertising as it prepares to launch new tools and services for businesses by the end of this year, company co-founder Biz Stone said Monday.
The company is developing tools and services that it might be able to offer on top of Twitter's free microblogging service, he said in a videotaped interview at a Reuters event.
"I think by the end of the year we'll have something out there," he said. " It doesn't have to be this super home run in terms of making billions of dollars. ...But it has to show a little bit of signs of life, telling folks, 'Yes Twitter can be a sustainable business.'"
The two year-old site has exploded in popularity this year but it's still unclear how exactly Twitter plans to make money
Stone said Twitter has hired a full-time product manager to analyze how it should develop paid services and suggested the company could sell "lightweight analytics" data to corporate users or perhaps a paid directory where it lists legitimate corporate Twitter accounts.
In March, Federated Media partnered with Twitter to launch a sponsored Web site called ExecTweets, which allows visitors to follow Twitter messages from executives in different industries.
But Stone said the company was thinking "less on the advertising front," telling Reuters that Twitter didn't want to hire the staff it would take to sell advertising.
Twitter is increasingly being used for corporate communications, where companies have found it an accessible way to immediately touch base with their customers. Companies like Dell and JetBlue have hundreds of thousands of followers on Twitter.
"The individuals are getting some kind of value out of these accounts," Stone said. "Companies are getting value out of these accounts."
Whatever the services turn out to be, the site will remain free and open to everyone, Stone added
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!