Microsoft, Linux join forces in software law debate
At issue: A legal document that advises judges on software law
IDG News Service - In an unusual twist, Microsoft and Linux have joined forces in a legal tussle.
The companies jointly sent a letter expressing their common disagreement with advice regarding software law that a group plans to send to judges.
The American Law Institute (ALI), an association that develops documents meant to help guide judges as they make decisions on complicated legal subjects, is presenting a final draft of its guidelines for software contracts on Tuesday during its annual meeting. The document has been in the works since 2004 and if it is approved it will be published.
Despite the differences that most often divide Microsoft, which relies on proprietary software sales for its lifeblood, and the Linux Foundation, which promotes open-source software, the two agree in this situation.
They urge the ALI specifically to clarify a section of its document that concerns warranties on defects in software. The document appears to absolve commercial open-source software from the types of warranties that would be applied to proprietary software. But because many open-source software providers make money, such as through advertising, it's unclear if such providers would be liable for defects according to the document.
"The principles outlined by the ALI interfere with the natural operation of open source licenses and commercial licenses as well by creating implied warranties that could result in a tremendous amount of unnecessary litigation, which would undermine the sharing of technology," Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, wrote in a blog post about the letter.
Microsoft and the Linux Foundation are writing and publishing the letter because it is essentially the only way for them to express their opinions about the ALI document. Only ALI members can participate in the process of drafting such documents and there is no public review prior to publication, Zemlin said.
The draft of the document is available for download for $45.
Microsoft and the Linux Foundation are asking the ALI to delay adoption of the principles to allow more time for input from interested parties.
They both recognize how unusual it is to be on the same side of such a debate. "The mere fact that the Linux Foundation and Microsoft are joining forces may be viewed by some as remarkable," wrote Horacio Gutierrez, deputy general counsel for Microsoft in a blog post. "But there is a wide range of issues that affect all software developers alike."
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts