How a company in Bala Cynwyd, Pa., competes with Bangalore
Small U.S. outsourcer looks for edge against mega offshore firms
Computerworld - When President Barack Obama pointed to Bangalore this week in his effort to keep companies from "shipping jobs overseas" to take advantage of tax breaks, he picked an Indian city that is a worrisome symbol to U.S. tech workers.
Bangalore is a major offshore center and home to companies such as IT services giant Wipro Ltd. The company, and others like it, isn't growing because of tax breaks received by U.S. customers, but because of its low wages to highly skilled workers and its process and technology improvements, especially in remote management, analysts say.
This doesn't mean that U.S. companies, with higher-paid workforces, can't compete with India's offshore providers.
PC Helps Support LLC, a company based in the seemingly unpronounceable Pennsylvania village of Bala Cynwyd (pronounced Bala, as in "gala," Kinwood). The company is nowhere near the scale of Wipro, but it can recognize opportunities.
For instance, just after the iPhone hit the market in 2007, PC Helps Support added Apple's smartphone to its list of support services. When Microsoft Exchange support arrived for the iPhone, PC Helps Support was ready. It recently got an iPhone support contract with Alaska Airlines, said Jen Darr, a senior productivity analyst and writer on PC Helps Support's blog.
Rob Enderle, an independent analyst in San Jose, said it appears as if PC Helps Support, with its iPhone capability, is "jumping on an opportunity, and it could be a big one," because Apple "has never stepped up to corporate level support on any of their products," he said.
In the case of Alaska Airlines, the company gives employees the option of using the iPhone for work, an airline spokeswoman said. For PC Helps Support, the most common iPhone question it gets from users is about mail setup. That's followed by queries on usability, shortcuts, tips and tricks, Darr said.
PC Helps Support has about 250 consultants delivering help desk services, such as supporting transitions to the latest versions of Word and other Office products. It supports more than 160 applications. It focuses on personal, rather than rote step-by-step, delivery of its services, and doesn't send customers up various tiers. It has carved out a place for itself.
Wipro, in contrast, has nearly 100,000 employees and is on the forefront of the offshore industry's megatrends, which include remote infrastructure management.
Gartner Inc. analyst Richard Matlus, at the research firm's Outsourcing and Vendor Management Summit this week in Las Vegas, told attendees that remote infrastructure management is a "viable" alternative. With the recession, clients "are looking for any alternative to help them reduce costs or maintain service quality when they have limited resources."
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts