Microsoft releases free, video-enabled Facebook app for Windows Mobile devices
Rival, paid-app ThumbLink allows picture uploads to Facebook, but not videos
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. on Thursday released a Facebook application that it says is the first that lets users upload videos straight from their phone -- in this case, Windows Mobile 6 smartphones.
The free app, dubbed Facebook, can be downloaded from the Windows Mobile Web site, or directly from users' mobile Web browser.
In addition to video and picture uploads, users can send messages or call people on their Friends lists, manage their Facebook profile, confirm Friend requests, update their status and more.
Another app, ThumbLink, from the small Ohio developer Wugland, already enabled Windows Mobile users to upload pictures to Facebook, but not videos. And Thumblink is not free.
A version of Microsoft's Facebook app for the new Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system will be available later this year, according to a Microsoft press release.
Microsoft has a small stake in Facebook and a large-scale Web advertising and search deal with the popular social network.
Microsoft is also preparing a similar free MySpace app this summer, which Korean handset maker LG Electronics Inc. has already agreed to preload on its Windows Mobile phones.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!