Hands on with Windows Server 2008 r2: Admin tools
New PowerShell cmdlets let you manage Active Directory quickly and efficiently
Computerworld - Development on Windows Server 2008 R2 proceeds apace. And in addition to DirectAccess and other features I've already written about, with today's announcement of the newest Windows Server 2008 release candidate there are numerous other important improvements in administrative usability in Windows Server 2008 R2.
I'll take a look at several in this piece, including:
- New PowerShell cmdlets that let you manage Active Directory quickly and efficiently
- A new AD administrative console that exposes the power of those cmdlets to more graphically oriented users
- How to deploy BranchCache, a WAN caching technology, in your Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 environment
Managing Active Directory through PowerShell
PowerShell now comes with an Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) module that introduces over 75 Active Directory cmdlets. From a script or the new Graphical PowerShell user interface, you can perform routine administrative tasks on your Active Directory forests, domains, trees and so on.
Best of all, the tab-completion function (where Windows thinks about what you're typing and suggests completions for your current context when you hit the Tab key) works as you'd expect and is a useful feature.
Here are some common commands:
- To load the AD DS module, use
Add-Module ActiveDirectory, then
- To get information about a domain, use
- To display information about domain controllers in a specific domain, use
- To browse a specific domain, with results neatly formed in a table, "change directory" into AD via
Cd AD:and then use the following series of commands:
- To create a new organizational unit within a domain, use the following command:
- To delete the organizational unit you created in the previous step, use the following series of commands, one to allow the organizational unit to be deleted and the other to actually perform the removal:
DIR | Format-Table -Auto
DIR | ft -a
New-ADOrganizationalUnit Name "International" Path "DC=domain_name,DC=TLD"
SetADorganizationalUnit International ProtectedFromAccidentalDeletion $False RemoveADOrganizationalUnit International Unit
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Rogue IT on the Rise? SAM strategies and tools Unauthorized downloads can affect security and compliance; see how CDW Software Asset Management (SAM) tools can help your organization.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All NOSes and Server Software White Papers | Webcasts