Android 1.5 'Cupcake' starts arriving on G1s
T-Mobile said to be shipping the software update over the air to G1 users
Computerworld - The Android 1.5 update for G1 smartphones, dubbed "Cupcake," began arriving on some of the devices over the air today, according to G1 owners reporting on blogs and forums.
T-Mobile USA Inc. could not be reached to comment on whether it has officially begun shipping the update, which includes several new features, including an on-screen touch keyboard.
Some forums say the update is only shipping to users in Europe, but others say T-Mobile users in the U.S. are also beginning to receive the software. Boygeniusreport.com said it was getting reports of updates, and warned users that custom software on the G1 might thwart users from getting the update notice.
Gadget Web site Gizmodo said "select" G1s were getting updates today, but it did not elaborate.
Forum writers indicated that they knew the update had begun arriving, but there didn't appear to be much commentary this morning on how users liked the new features.
Speech recognition, better camera and GPS performance, support for video recording, and stereo Bluetooth are some of the other features that Android developers described would be part of Cupcake.
Google Inc., which along with the Open Handset Alliance backs the Android mobile platform, said that Cupcake would ship shortly after the software developer's kit, which shipped earlier this week.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!