U.S. consumers' appetite for netbooks surging, survey says
Price-conscious buyers drawn to cheaper price, wider selection of netbooks
Computerworld - Almost a quarter of potential PC buyers are looking seriously at getting a netbook, according to the results of a market research study released today, as recession-hit Americans shift their PC lust toward cheaper options.
According to ChangeWave Research's April survey of 3,231 U.S. consumers, 23% of respondents who plan to buy a computer in the next three months expect to purchase a netbook.
That's up from 18% in February and 14% in January.
"Since we first reported higher consumer interest in the more affordable minilaptops, overall netbook demand has skyrocketed," ChangeWave said in a release.
Such predictions could help companies such as netbook market leader Acer Inc. The third-leading PC maker sold 5 million Aspire One netbooks last year, edging out trailblazer Asustek Computer Inc. Acer expects to sell between 10 million and 12 million netbooks overall in 2009.
Besides being more wallet-friendly than other computers, netbooks are becoming mainstream after strong Christmas sales. More models are appearing that sport beefed-up specs such as nearly laptop-size screens and keyboards, high-definition video and even DVD drives.
Whatever the reason, the interest in netbooks is helping to boost the low demand for computers overall. Only 12% of those surveyed said they were planning to buy a computer in the next three months, with 8% interested in notebooks or netbooks, and 4% interested in buying a desktop PC, ChangeWave said.
The 8% figure for those interested in buying a mobile PC is the "first uptick" in demand in 17 months, according to ChangeWave.
Increased notebook demand could mean good news for Apple Inc., whose market share has been slipping, according to ChangeWave, partly because it does not offer a cheaper option such as a netbook.
Most of Apple's hardware sales come from Mac notebooks, not desktops.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts