Acer working on several Android devices
It plans to launch an Android smartphone this year
IDG News Service - Acer Inc. is already working on several different devices using Google Iinc.'s Android operating system and software, and it plans to launch a smartphone using the software later this year.
"The entire industry is looking at Android," said Acer president and CEO Gianfranco Lanci at the company's first-quarter investor's conference in Taipei today.
"We are testing Android on a lot of different solutions," he said. "We are working on an Android solution for the smartphone, [but] I think it's too early to say if we're going to see Android on a netbook in the near future."
Lanci said Android is "very, very good for communication and Web access and so on," but he's not sure yet if it's right for traditional PCs.
A smartphone with Android makes a lot more sense than a netbook with the operating system, he said.
Google's Android software has become a popular topic because of its success so far in smartphones.
T-Mobile USA, the first mobile network operator globally to launch an Android handset, the G1, has sold 1 million of the smartphones in the first six months since it went on the market.
Although that's far less than the number of iPhones Apple sold in its first two quarters on the market, it's still a big start for a brand-new operating system.
Several more Android smartphones have been announced recently, including a few more from the G1's developer, High Tech Computer (HTC), the first one from Samsung Electronics, and two for Far EasTone, a Taipei-based mobile network operator.
Netbooks are a new frontier for Android.
Hewlett-Packard Co. earlier this year confirmed rumors that it had been testing Android on netbooks, and China-based Guangzhou Skytone Transmission Technologies Co. said its Android netbook is undergoing final testing before it launches.
Developed by Google, Android is a smartphone operating system that is meant to make Web browsing easy, especially on Google sites such as YouTube and Google Maps. The majority of netbooks today use Microsoft's Windows XP operating system.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts