Acer beat Asus in netbooks in '08, to ship up to 12M in '09
It shipped just over 5M netbooks last year
IDG News Service - Acer edged out rival Asustek Computer to lead the world in netbook shipments last year.
The world's third-largest computer vendor shipped just over five million netbooks last year, said Gianfranco Lanci, Acer's president and CEO, during the company's first-quarter investors' conference in Taipei.
The company expects to ship between 10 million and 12 million netbooks this year, he added.
Asustek, which pioneered netbooks with its popular Eee PCs, said it shipped 4.9 million units last year.
Acer managed to win the 2008 netbook title despite Asustek's six-month lead in the market. Acer didn't start shipping its first netbook, the Aspire One, until the second half of last year. The device was a hit, and sales soared mainly because Acer was able to launch globally, analysts said.
The victory for Acer, however, was incomplete. The company missed its own target of shipping 6 million netbooks in 2008 because the global economy soured.
Lanci said sales of the Aspire One were strongest in the U.S. last year, despite a brighter start in Europe. Netbook sales have been less successful in other regions, such as Asia.
Netbooks were a big help to Acer during the first quarter of this year.
Instead of dragging on the company by hurting laptop PC sales, Acer chairman J.T. Wang said that without the Aspire One, Acer's revenue and shipments would have been much lower.
Consumers were spooked by the financial crisis, he said, causing them to look for deals such as netbooks instead of more expensive products.
Netbooks are mini-laptop PCs designed for mobility, typically sporting 7-in. to 10-in. screens, weighing less than about 4.5 pounds and costing under $400. They are designed with less-powerful components and chips than full-fledged laptops and do not carry DVD drives.
Market researcher Gartner estimates that mini-notebook shipments will increase to 20.2 million units this year, up from 11.7 million units last year.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts