And now, Verizon reported in talks with Microsoft for new phone
WSJ reports that the two parties are working on a new Windows Mobile device code-named Pink
Computerworld - In the latest iteration of its plans to combat the iPhone, Verizon Wireless is reportedly working with Microsoft Corp. to create a Windows Mobile wireless device with a touch screen and multimedia capabilities.
The device, code-named Pink, would appear early next year, giving Verizon another product to compete with Apple Inc.'s iPhone, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal that cites unnamed sources.
A Verizon spokeswoman wouldn't comment on the story. Verizon also would not comment on earlier reports that it was working with Apple to get the ability to run an iPhone on its CDMA networks, or that Apple was creating two prototypes for iPhone-like devices.
Microsoft officials could not be reached immediately for comment.
A third party would build the Pink device, which would include Windows Marketplace for Mobile -- Microsoft's mobile application store, according to Wall Street Journal.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!