Verizon pursues illegal autodialers
The autodialing companies make millions of wireless calls pitching car warranties
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless said today it that has settled a lawsuit against two companies that used autodialing systems to call its wireless customers to pitch extended vehicle warranties. It also announced a separate lawsuit to stop three other companies from similar acts.
The basis for Verizon's lawsuits is the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act, which makes it illegal to use an autodialer to make calls to wireless phones, Verizon said in a statement. Verizon has brought nearly 20 lawsuits against wireless spammers, telemarketers and others since 2004.
In the settlement, Verizon was awarded $50,000 from St. Louis-based National Auto Warranty Services and Florida-based Explicit Media, which does business as Voice Solutions. The money was donated to the Joyful Heart Foundation to support efforts to reduce domestic violence, Verizon said.
In the new lawsuit, which was filed today in Superior Court in New Jersey, Verizon charged Tele Europe BV, National Dealers Warranty and Dealers Warranty, which does business as Federal Auto Protection, with illegally using autodialing systems to reach Verizon Wireless customers. The first company is based in the Netherlands and the other two are based in Missouri.
In a statement, Steven Zipperstein, general counsel at Verizon Wireless, called the telemarketing calls "an annoyance to our customers [that] invades their privacy." In the lawsuit, Verizon said customers cannot find out who is making the calls.
In the lawsuit that was settled, Verizon said the autodialer deployed spoofing techniques to mask the origin of the calls. About 2 million calls were made illegally, Verizon contended.Verizon settled a similar lawsuit against a Utah-based telemarketing company for $25,000 in March.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts