Mozilla delivers Firefox 3.5 Beta 4, boosts speed
Computerworld - Mozilla Corp. late yesterday released Firefox 3.5 Beta 4, the latest development preview of the company's next browser, which has been delayed several times and now is tentatively slated to ship before the end of June.
As it usually does, Mozilla warned users that Beta 4 is suitable for testing only. "Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 is a public preview release intended for developer testing and community feedback," said Beltzner. We recommend that you read the release notes and known issues before installing this beta."
The beta's release notes highlighted several still-unfixed issues with Firefox 3.5, including problems with Gmail, Google Inc.'s popular Web-based e-mail service, and with parts of the new privacy feature.
Beta 4 is the first major milestone of Mozilla's new browser to carry the "3.5" moniker; originally, the upgrade was called Firefox 3.1, but the company decided it had added enough new features to justify the larger bump in version number from last summer's Firefox 3.0.
Although Mozilla said much earlier in the Firefox 3.5 process that it would ship a limited number of betas before moving on to a "release candidate," it's unclear today what Mozilla's next step will be. Attempts to reach Beltzner via e-mail were unsuccessful.
In 2008, the company issued the last beta of Firefox 3.0 in early April, and the final version in mid-June. Assuming Firefox 3.5's pace is similar, Mozilla should ship Firefox 3.5 sometime in early July.
Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 can be downloaded for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in 63 different languages from Mozilla's site. Users already running Beta 3 will be notified of the available update in the next 48 hours.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- Real-Time Application-Centric Operations Visibility with NetScout's Approach to Service Delivery Management This ENTERPRISE MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATES whitepaper examines the move towards application/service performance visibility within IT operations
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- Gartner 2013 ALM Magic Quadrant Report This Gartner Group report is a must-read to gain a better understanding of the automated software quality assurance market today.
- Finding agility in the age of applications This white paper reveals how to extend Agile throughout the enterprise and make your business more nimble.
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.