Network World - Internet service provider EarthLink Inc. was hit with a major outage on Wednesday, with users unable to access their e-mail or any Web pages hosted by the company.
The cause of the crash was unknown. The company's Web page was knocked offline, and its phone numbers have also apparently been disconnected. Inquiries to the company's public relations department were not immediately returned.
EarthLink users first started reporting problems with their e-mail accounts on Twitter at around 10:30 a.m. Eastern Time.
"EarthLink down on Earth Day," noted tweeter QuiCacet. "Coincidence or dastardly conspiracy?"
Atlanta-based EarthLink serves an estimated 2.8 million subscribers in the U.S. The company provides several different kinds of connections, including dial-up, cable and Digital Subscriber Line. It also offers Web hosting and voice-over-IP services.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security The Traditional Approach to Network Security is Failing. View Now>>
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts