NASA dumps Sun, sticks with tape for archives
It has gone from 55,000 tape cartridge slots to 20,000 with the new install
Computerworld - NASA's Ames Research Center, announced today that it has consolidated its tape libraries from 10 silos to two, allowing it to reclaim 1,400 square feet of floor space while increasing its data archive from 12 to 32 petabytes of capacity.
NASA said it swapped out 10 tape silos from StorageTek -- now Sun Microsystems Inc. -- in exchange for two Spectra Logic Corp. Spectra T950s libraries each made up of eight frames at a cost of about $1.5 million. The new libraries use LTO-4 drives with a total of 20,000 tape cartridge slots.
The Sun/StorageTek tape libraries were originally purchased in 1989 and had 55,000 cartridge slots.
"Spectra's ability to quickly incorporate specific enhancements that were important to NASA high-end computing operations also played a significant deciding factor," said Alan Powers, high-performance computing technical director at Computer Sciences Corp., NASA's IT contractor.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts