NASA dumps Sun, sticks with tape for archives
It has gone from 55,000 tape cartridge slots to 20,000 with the new install
Computerworld - NASA's Ames Research Center, announced today that it has consolidated its tape libraries from 10 silos to two, allowing it to reclaim 1,400 square feet of floor space while increasing its data archive from 12 to 32 petabytes of capacity.
NASA said it swapped out 10 tape silos from StorageTek -- now Sun Microsystems Inc. -- in exchange for two Spectra Logic Corp. Spectra T950s libraries each made up of eight frames at a cost of about $1.5 million. The new libraries use LTO-4 drives with a total of 20,000 tape cartridge slots.
The Sun/StorageTek tape libraries were originally purchased in 1989 and had 55,000 cartridge slots.
"Spectra's ability to quickly incorporate specific enhancements that were important to NASA high-end computing operations also played a significant deciding factor," said Alan Powers, high-performance computing technical director at Computer Sciences Corp., NASA's IT contractor.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts