Nokia sales drop, but market share holds steady
Profit suffers huge drop
IDG News Service - Nokia Corp. today reported first-quarter sales that were down about 27% year over year, as sales of mobile phones dropped below 100 million units.
Nokia sales for the first three months of 2009 were €9.3 billion ($12.3 billion U.S.), below analyst expectations of €9.7 billion. Profit was €4 million, compared to €1.2 billion a year ago.
The current environment is exceptionally tough, according to Nokia. Looking forward, it expects sales during the second quarter to be about the same or up slightly. Nokia also reiterates that sales volumes for 2009 will drop about 10% compared to 2008.
The company sold 93.2 million phones during the first quarter, a steep drop from the 113.1 million it sold during the fourth quarter of 2008.
Despite the drop, sales were still slightly higher than expected, according to Carolina Milanesi, an analyst at Gartner Inc. Although the market remains challenging, the good news is that it is showing some signs that it is stabilizing, she said via e-mail. She pointed to the fact that Nokia hasn't changed its outlook for 2009.
Nokia highlighted sales of the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, which came in at 2.6 million units, as a bright spot.
Also, despite the sales drop, Nokia's market share was steady at 37% over the past two quarters, based on the company's estimates.
"The bottom line is that although sales were a bit better than anticipated, the strain on the market is clearly seen in the financial results with an average sales price that dropped," Milanesi said.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts