Opinion: Palm Pre could launch by May 17
Reports say Sprint is training employees on the Pre
Responding to questions via e-mail, Sprint Nextel has apparently confirmed that the company is "in the process of providing the training for the new Palm Pre" to its employees, according to the blog PreThinking.
Also, multiple online sources say Sprint is forbidding vacation time to its retail store employees during the month of May -- another indication of imminent action. And adding even more buzz to the Pre is a leaked internal memo that says Sprint stores will start to receive Pre shipments in late April or early May for a May 17 launch.
However, the launch could occur as late as June 29, according to PhoneNews.
As always, it's important to take these rumors with a really big grain of salt, but considering how many blogs are coming forward with information, it looks like we may finally see the long-awaited Pre by next month.
This latest news also builds on a previous rumor that said Palm Pre stockpiles would arrive in Sprint warehouses around March 15. It's unknown whether Sprint is actually sitting on an inventory of Pre devices this very minute, but if you combine the stockpiling rumor with today's assertions, then the Pre's launch starts to look a little more imminent.
While speculation remains about when the Pre will hit store shelves, Sprint has already introduced its pricing plans for the Pre. Palm's iPhone rival will have a variety of price plans ranging from $70 to $190; however, the additional cost of the Pre has not been announced.
In other Pre-related news, a Palm marketing manager has said that the Pre's Touchstone charger, which charges the Pre through a series of magnets and special circuits, is the first in a line of Touchstone products.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!