PC Advisor - Almost all of the netbooks sold in February 2009 were running Windows, rather than Linux, says NPD.
According to the analyst firm, this is a complete reversal from the first half of 2008, when less than 10% of netbooks shipped with Microsoft's operating system.
"Not only are people overwhelmingly buying Windows, but those that try Linux are often returning it," said Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc in response to the NPD figures.
"Both MSI - a leading netbook PC OEM - and Canonical - the vendor supporting the commercial distribution of Ubuntu Linux - stated publicly they saw Linux return rates four times higher than Windows," added LeBlanc.
LeBlanc also claimed that consumers were choosing Windows because "it's easier to use, just works out of the box with people's stuff, and ultimately offers more choice".
Microsoft also revealed that it plans to put its forthcoming Windows 7 operating system onto netbooks.
"We've been testing Windows 7 on netbook PCs since before Windows 7 was feature complete, and our plan is to enable these small notebook PCs to run any edition of Windows 7".
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts