PC Advisor - Almost all of the netbooks sold in February 2009 were running Windows, rather than Linux, says NPD.
According to the analyst firm, this is a complete reversal from the first half of 2008, when less than 10% of netbooks shipped with Microsoft's operating system.
"Not only are people overwhelmingly buying Windows, but those that try Linux are often returning it," said Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc in response to the NPD figures.
"Both MSI - a leading netbook PC OEM - and Canonical - the vendor supporting the commercial distribution of Ubuntu Linux - stated publicly they saw Linux return rates four times higher than Windows," added LeBlanc.
LeBlanc also claimed that consumers were choosing Windows because "it's easier to use, just works out of the box with people's stuff, and ultimately offers more choice".
Microsoft also revealed that it plans to put its forthcoming Windows 7 operating system onto netbooks.
"We've been testing Windows 7 on netbook PCs since before Windows 7 was feature complete, and our plan is to enable these small notebook PCs to run any edition of Windows 7".
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!