Intel debuts new processor code-named Jasper Forest
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. today announced a new microprocessor code-named Jasper Forest aimed at storage products and embedded applications at the Intel Developer Forum in Beijing.
"We've taken Nehalem ... and further optimized it for the embedded market segment," said Pat Gelsinger, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's digital enterprise group, in a keynote at the forum.
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications. They use the Nehalem-EP (Efficient Performance) architecture that Intel recently used in the launch of its latest generation of server chips.
The main modification Intel made for Jasper Forest microprocessors was to reduce the set to two chips instead of the three used in the Nehalem server family, a company representative said.
The I/O hub on Jasper Forest has been integrated right onto the chip.
Jasper Forest will come in a variety of versions and, including single-processor-core, dual-core and quad-core versions.
Intel typically code-names its chips for geographical locations, and the new device is no different. Jasper Forest is a petrified forest in Arizona.
Intel released its new Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 processors, also part of the Nehalem EP family, last month and a number of major vendors have already begun selling servers based on the chips.
Additional reporting by Dan Nystedt in Taipei.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts