Intel debuts new processor code-named Jasper Forest
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. today announced a new microprocessor code-named Jasper Forest aimed at storage products and embedded applications at the Intel Developer Forum in Beijing.
"We've taken Nehalem ... and further optimized it for the embedded market segment," said Pat Gelsinger, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's digital enterprise group, in a keynote at the forum.
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications. They use the Nehalem-EP (Efficient Performance) architecture that Intel recently used in the launch of its latest generation of server chips.
The main modification Intel made for Jasper Forest microprocessors was to reduce the set to two chips instead of the three used in the Nehalem server family, a company representative said.
The I/O hub on Jasper Forest has been integrated right onto the chip.
Jasper Forest will come in a variety of versions and, including single-processor-core, dual-core and quad-core versions.
Intel typically code-names its chips for geographical locations, and the new device is no different. Jasper Forest is a petrified forest in Arizona.
Intel released its new Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 processors, also part of the Nehalem EP family, last month and a number of major vendors have already begun selling servers based on the chips.
Additional reporting by Dan Nystedt in Taipei.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Processors White Papers | Webcasts