Intel debuts new processor code-named Jasper Forest
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. today announced a new microprocessor code-named Jasper Forest aimed at storage products and embedded applications at the Intel Developer Forum in Beijing.
"We've taken Nehalem ... and further optimized it for the embedded market segment," said Pat Gelsinger, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's digital enterprise group, in a keynote at the forum.
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications. They use the Nehalem-EP (Efficient Performance) architecture that Intel recently used in the launch of its latest generation of server chips.
The main modification Intel made for Jasper Forest microprocessors was to reduce the set to two chips instead of the three used in the Nehalem server family, a company representative said.
The I/O hub on Jasper Forest has been integrated right onto the chip.
Jasper Forest will come in a variety of versions and, including single-processor-core, dual-core and quad-core versions.
Intel typically code-names its chips for geographical locations, and the new device is no different. Jasper Forest is a petrified forest in Arizona.
Intel released its new Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 processors, also part of the Nehalem EP family, last month and a number of major vendors have already begun selling servers based on the chips.
Additional reporting by Dan Nystedt in Taipei.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts