Intel debuts new processor code-named Jasper Forest
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. today announced a new microprocessor code-named Jasper Forest aimed at storage products and embedded applications at the Intel Developer Forum in Beijing.
"We've taken Nehalem ... and further optimized it for the embedded market segment," said Pat Gelsinger, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's digital enterprise group, in a keynote at the forum.
The new chips will be aimed at storage products and embedded applications. They use the Nehalem-EP (Efficient Performance) architecture that Intel recently used in the launch of its latest generation of server chips.
The main modification Intel made for Jasper Forest microprocessors was to reduce the set to two chips instead of the three used in the Nehalem server family, a company representative said.
The I/O hub on Jasper Forest has been integrated right onto the chip.
Jasper Forest will come in a variety of versions and, including single-processor-core, dual-core and quad-core versions.
Intel typically code-names its chips for geographical locations, and the new device is no different. Jasper Forest is a petrified forest in Arizona.
Intel released its new Xeon 3500 and Xeon 5500 processors, also part of the Nehalem EP family, last month and a number of major vendors have already begun selling servers based on the chips.
Additional reporting by Dan Nystedt in Taipei.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts