H-1B bill seeks to 'staple' green cards to Ph.D.s
Arizona congressman introduces bill to exempt foreign Ph.D. grads from H-1B limits
Computerworld - The inability of Congress to agree on immigration reform legislation has become a roadblock for H-1B proponents looking for new laws that would boost the number of available visas.
But the backers of the program are not giving up, as a new bill introduced this week aims to exempt foreign graduates of U.S. Ph.D. programs from counting toward a cap on H-1B visas.
U.S. Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), introduced what he calls the "Stopping Trained in America Ph.D.s From Leaving the Economy Act of 2009 (HR 1791)." By design, the bill's acronym, Staple, represents the stapling of science, technology, engineering and mathematics Ph.D. diplomas onto green cards, granting their holders permanent residency.
Foreign students make up a substantial portion of U.S. Ph.D. graduates. According to a survey conducted by the Computing Research Association, foreign students received 55.5% of the 1,597 computer science Ph.D. degrees awarded in the last academic year.
There have been a number of efforts to increase the H-1B visa cap apart from a comprehensive immigration reform push. But supporters of an overhaul of the immigration system have managed to stymie such efforts to get Congress to separately consider changes to the H-1B program.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts