Microsoft to shut down Encarta Web sites
The online encyclopedia service will close in October, Microsoft said
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp. is shutting down its Encarta encyclopedia Web sites and will also discontinue its Student and Premium Encarta software products.
"The category of traditional encyclopedias and reference material has changed," reads a note explaining the move on the MSN Encarta Web site. "People today seek and consume information in considerably different ways than in years past."
The Encarta Web sites worldwide will shut down Oct. 31 and Microsoft will stop selling the software products by June of this year. One exception is the Encarta Japan Web site, which will stay live until the last day of this year.
People who have paid for a subscription to MSN Encarta Premium, which offers them access to more information, will get a refund for fees paid beyond April 30, although they'll continue to be able to access the site until it shuts down in October.
Microsoft will continue to offer technical support for the software products for three years.
The software maker has discontinued other products recently. Late last year, Microsoft announced it would stop selling OneCare, its consumer antivirus product. It also killed off a mobile browser research product last year.
Rival Google Inc. has also discontinued some offerings recently, presumably in response to pressure from the deteriorating economic conditions. Google has shut down Jaiku, Mashup Editor, Dodgeball, Catalog Search, Google Notebook and Print Ads.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts