AT&T to offer smartphones from Nokia, Samsung
The Nokia E71x takes claim as thinnest smartphone with QWERTY keyboard
Computerworld - AT&T Inc. today announced two new smartphones that will be available in coming weeks -- the Nokia E71x, the thinnest smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard, and the Samsung Propel Pro.
The Nokia E71x, already on sale outside the U.S., will be available through AT&T for $99.99, after rebates, plus a two-year contract. It will be on sale "in coming weeks," an AT&T spokeswoman said.
AT&T will showcase the new Nokia device at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas, which starts Wednesday.
AT&T said the Propel Pro will go on sale sometime in April for $149.99.
The wireless carrier said both devices should appeal to consumers and business users, especially those who are more interested in a QWERTY keyboard for messaging and e-mail. "Smartphones and quick message phones are no longer for early adopters and text-happy teens," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer of AT&T Mobility and consumer markets.
The Nokia E71x provides access to Mail for Exchange, AT&T Xpress Mail and other third party e-mail products, the spokeswoman said.
The Nokia device is 4.48 inches long, 2.24 inches wide and .39 inches thick, making it the thinnest QWERTY smartphone on the market, a Nokia spokeswoman said. Available in steel black, the device weighs 4.44 ounces and its display screen is 2.36 inches.
It runs a variant of the Symbian operating system known as S60, offering access to various Symbian applications. It provides Wi-Fi and runs over WCDMA and GSM over cellular connections. It has 120MB of internal memory and supports a 8GB micro SD card. It also includes assisted GPS, and a 3.2-megapixel camera.
The Propel is a chrome slider smartphone that runs Windows Mobile 6.1 and supports Wi-Fi. Other details were not immediately available.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts