CIO - Much has been made of President Obama's use of a BlackBerry and how it symbolizes his understanding of the transformational power of information technology. Yet beyond his addiction to mobile e-mail, this president has done a few other things in his short tenure that spotlight his understanding of the power of IT.
The first was his pledge to name a Cabinet-level chief information officer, which he did last month with the appointment of the District of Columbia's former CTO, Vivek Kundra (who, as of this writing, is on leave while an FBI bribery investigation into his former office concludes). We know that part of the mission for the first U.S. CIO will be to cut spending and reduce complexity while boosting innovation (a familiar conundrum for CIOs everywhere).
Earlier, the president had issued his memorandum on "Transparency and Open Government," which calls on the CTO to coordinate with the director of the office of management and budget and the administrator of general services in developing an Open Government Directive. That directive would drive executive departments and agencies to take specific actions to make the government transparent, participatory and collaborative.
President Obama also underscored his belief in technology through the $789 billion stimulus package. He's allocated close to $21 billion for the healthcare industry, with a focus on establishing electronic health records (EHR). There is $3 billion earmarked to enable healthcare providers to buy IT systems and another $18 billion toward Medicare and Medicaid programs that encourage technology use to improve patient care.
An important footnote to all this is that hospitals and eligible professionals will suffer penalties through reduced Medicare reimbursement payments if they do not become meaningful users of EHR by 2015, as reported by WTN News.
All of the above sends a clear and welcome signal that our new commander in chief will truly leverage the power of IT during his tenure in the White House. The swift allocation of funding is certainly a laudable first step. But as everyone in business knows, the most critical step comes next. It's all about execution. Stay tuned...
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Topic Center White Papers |