Pentaho and Amazon.com deliver BI to the cloud
Companies will be able to 'rent' Pentaho Version 3.0 via Amazon's EC2
Computerworld - Open-source business intelligence application Pentaho is joining the roster of applications available via Amazon.com Inc.'s EC2 Web hosting service.
Companies will be able to "rent" the new release of Pentaho, Version 3.0, via EC2. That arrangement should lower the upfront start-up costs of using Pentaho -- though those costs were already low for its on-site version, according to Lance Walter, vice president of marketing at Orlando-based Pentaho Corp.
The on-site version of Pentaho's open-source software can be used for free, though many business customers subscribe to Pentaho support.
Pentaho is not the first "BI as a service" provider. Cambridge, Mass.-based start-up Good Data Corp. began testing a cloud-based BI service last fall. Good Data's offering is also on EC2.
Other enterprise applications available via EC2 include open-source ERP application Compiere, application servers such as JBoss, and a plethora of databases, including Oracle, MySQL and Microsoft Corp.'s SQL Server.
Other new features in Pentaho 3.0 include redesigned dashboards that incorporate Adobe Flash technology for better visuals and are now easy enough for most business end users to build themselves, said Walter.
Pentaho and JasperSoft Corp. are the two most popular vendors of open-source BI offerings. JasperSoft is backed by Linux vendor Red Hat Inc.
Pentaho's open-source community includes 40,000 registered members and, according to Walter, "hundreds of active contributors."
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts