Pentaho and Amazon.com deliver BI to the cloud
Companies will be able to 'rent' Pentaho Version 3.0 via Amazon's EC2
Computerworld - Open-source business intelligence application Pentaho is joining the roster of applications available via Amazon.com Inc.'s EC2 Web hosting service.
Companies will be able to "rent" the new release of Pentaho, Version 3.0, via EC2. That arrangement should lower the upfront start-up costs of using Pentaho -- though those costs were already low for its on-site version, according to Lance Walter, vice president of marketing at Orlando-based Pentaho Corp.
The on-site version of Pentaho's open-source software can be used for free, though many business customers subscribe to Pentaho support.
Pentaho is not the first "BI as a service" provider. Cambridge, Mass.-based start-up Good Data Corp. began testing a cloud-based BI service last fall. Good Data's offering is also on EC2.
Other enterprise applications available via EC2 include open-source ERP application Compiere, application servers such as JBoss, and a plethora of databases, including Oracle, MySQL and Microsoft Corp.'s SQL Server.
Other new features in Pentaho 3.0 include redesigned dashboards that incorporate Adobe Flash technology for better visuals and are now easy enough for most business end users to build themselves, said Walter.
Pentaho and JasperSoft Corp. are the two most popular vendors of open-source BI offerings. JasperSoft is backed by Linux vendor Red Hat Inc.
Pentaho's open-source community includes 40,000 registered members and, according to Walter, "hundreds of active contributors."
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- 13 Reasons to Move to Adobe Creative Cloud One of the big advantages Adobe Creative Cloud for teams offers over Adobe Creative Suite 6 perpetual software is the ability to continually...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of...
- The Next Generation of Big Data: New IBM Information Management Cloud Solutions Learn about IBM's new and expanded Information Management capabilities now delivered in the cloud, including: Hadoop based analytics, stream processing, in-memory computing, data... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!