IDG News Service - Oracle is set to release two highly anticipated products within the next several months -- Oracle Database 11g Release 2 and Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g -- company President Charles Phillips revealed during the vendor's third-quarter earnings call Wednesday.
Phillips said 11g R2's release "should happen" in the first quarter of Oracle's next fiscal year, which starts in June, while Fusion Middleware 11g is set for release this quarter, he said.
While Phillips revealed few specifics about the products' new capabilities, he did say that 11g R2 will feature enhancements to Oracle's Real Application Clusters (RAC) technology, an option for the database that allows users to spread a large database workload over multiple servers for increased scalability and reliability.
So far, RAC has been more for advanced users, but the update will make it easier to use, Phillips said. "This is grid computing for the masses," he said.
Only a small percentage of Oracle's customers are using RAC right now, providing a major growth opportunity for the vendor, according to Phillips. "It also makes sense for our smaller and medium-sized customers, if we can make it easy to use, and that's what we've done," he said.
Also during the conference call, CEO Larry Ellison touted the Exadata data-warehousing appliance Oracle co-developed with Hewlett-Packard and announced to great fanfare at Oracle's OpenWorld conference last year.
Dubbing Exadata "the most exciting product in many, many years," Ellison claimed that the system's performance has been blowing away competitors' products such as those sold by Teradata.
But while Phillips described the Exadata sales pipeline as "the largest [he's] ever seen in terms of a new product," neither he nor Ellison provided any definitive numbers.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts