PC World - Mozilla Wednesday put out its first beta release of Fennec, the mobile version of its Firefox browser. I took a quick look at Firefox's little sibling, and I have to say Fennec is a very impressive and easy to use browser that maximizes your small screen space.
Add-ons: If you are into customizing Firefox with add-ons, you'll love this feature in Fennec. Right now, the only add-ons available include Twitter, a URL fixer to combat typos, and a few security programs. I downloaded the Twitter add-on for Fennec and found that getting add-ons worked just like in Firefox: the add-on dialog box appears and I choose to install it. After that, Fennec automatically restarted. Once Twitter was activated, I just entered my tweet in the address bar and clicked on a little green button to post. This is a great solution and allows you to easily post a URL that you're viewing. The Twitter add-on automatically shrinks the address using tinyURL.
Awesome bar: Taking one of the most popular features from Firefox, Fennec's awesome bar remembers where you've been and allows you easy access to these sites. As an added feature, you can also search with Google, Yahoo, and Wikipedia right from the awesome bar.
Bookmarks management: The bookmarks icon is right next to the address bar and lets you save and manage your favorite sites. To go to a bookmark, you just click on the icon and then select your site.
Maximizing Screen Space: Fennec is all about maximizing your screen space. Once you start to scroll down a Web page, the address bar disappears so you can see more of the page you're viewing.
Tabs: Getting to tabs is so easy it's ridiculous. Just flick the Web page to the right and you can easily add or close tabs from another sidebar. This is a fantastic feature, and will make mobile browsing far more productive.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!