EMC upgrades home, small-business NAS drive with online file sharing
Online file sharing is free for a year, then $9.95 annually
Computerworld - EMC Corp.'s Iomega Corp. division today unveiled new features for the Iomega StorCenter ix2 network-attached storage (NAS) drive, including Web access and peer-to-peer file sharing.
The ix2 NAS appliance, which is aimed at home and small-business network storage market, comes in 1TB and 2TB models.
Jonathan Huberman, president of Iomega and the Consumer and Small Business Products Division at EMC, said the ix2 allows users to enter a personalized Web address into any browser to securely download and upload files. Users can change the settings on the ix2, such as adding users and folders from any Web-enabled device.
The file-sharing service is free for the first year and $9.95 for every year thereafter. Custom domain names, such as www.yourfamilyname.com, are also available for an additional charge.
"With the simplest setup process in the industry, the ix2 not only provides home and small-business network storage users with such important features as media serving, Bluetooth and video surveillance capabilities, now we've added remote access," Huberman said in a statement. "Users can connect to their files from anywhere in the world, as well as the new standard in peer-to-peer file sharing."
The upgraded ix2 NAS drives also allow torrent downloads for peer-to-peer file sharing that facilitates download management directly to the StorCenter ix2.
Other upgrades to ix2 include "Folder Quotas," which allow users to set a maximum capacity for shared storage folders to prevent any of the folders from taking up too much space. For example, if a folder exceeds 90% of its capacity, the ix2 sends a message so that the folder size can be adjusted.
Iomega also included the Apple File Protocol on the updated NAS drive, enabling file-sharing for Mac users.
The Iomega StorCenter ix2 for home users comes with built-in support for Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Digital Living Network Alliance-certified devices, so it can store and play back multimedia files -- music, photos, videos and other digital content -- from PCs and laptops as well as from Sony PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles.
The ix2 comes with data encryption technology from EMC's RSA Security Inc. unit and EMC Retrospect Express backup software. The NAS drive also includes MozyHome online backup, which provides 2GB of free online storage for connected PC and Mac computers, with the option to upgrade to unlimited online backup storage for $4.95 per month per computer.
The 1TB StorCenter ix2 drive retails for $299.95; the 2TB model is available for $479.95.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts