Tim Berners-Lee is cybercrime victim
Discovered the fraud after buying a gift online
PC Advisor - Tim Berners-Lee, who is known as the founder of the World Wide Web, has revealed that he was the victim of online fraud after purchasing a gift online.
Berners-Lee, who is credited with developing the idea of the World Wide Web 20 years ago, told the Telegraph: "The worst thing that has happened to me was when I tried to buy a Christmas present from a company that looked like a bona fide company on the Internet and then actually they were a completely fake company. I think I am yet to get the money back, but it wasn't a lot."
"The moment I called the 0800 number listed on the Web site, there was a very polite message saying this number is available if you would like to use it, so a little bit of due diligence on my part would have revealed it wasn't what it was set up to be," he added.
Berners-Lee also urged law enforcement agencies to tackle online crime.
"There have been many positive things about the Web, but there are also some nasty things out there too. You can find out how to cure diseases, but you can also find out how to make bombs," he said.
"We need to tackle issues of enforcement instead, as the laws on fraud, for example, already exist but it is hard to find and catch the people responsible."
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Binary Option: Neustar SiteProtect Case Study Learn how Neustar helped Top10optionbinaire.com protect against DDoS attacks with SiteProtect DDoS mitigation technology.
- Four Ways DNS Can Accelerate Business Growth This DNS eBook describes how DNS has developed over the years to support business growth as new needs have emerged, for example, advanced...
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Ecommerce Site Needs Protection Against Cyber 'Pirate' Learn how a Neustar customer thwarted 'Blackbeard,' a self-styled DDoS Pirate. Using Neustar SiteProtect, a cloud-based DDoS mitigation service, this everyday IT hero...
- Tales from the Trenches - Industry Risks and Examples of DDoS Watch Neustar experts as they discuss how DDoS impacts technology companies including online gaming, e-commerce and more. All Network Security White Papers | Webcasts