Fusion-io unveils SSD drives with 1.5GB throughput, 1.2TB capacity
New ioDrive scales linearly, so four in a single server can provide 6GB/sec. throughput
Salt Lake City-based Fusion-io claims the ioDrive Duo offers users unprecedented single server performance levels with 1.5GB/sec. throughput and almost 200,000 IOPS. The system can reach such performance levels because four ioDrive Duos in a single server can scale linearly, which provides up to 6GB/sec. of read bandwidth and over 500,000 read IOPS.
Currently, the cards come in 160GB, 320GB and 640GB capacities. A 1.28TB card is expected out in the second half of this year.
Click to view larger image
"Many database and system administrators are finding that SANs are too expensive and don't meet performance, protection and capacity utilization expectations," said David Flynn, chief technology officer at Fusion-io. "This is why more and more application vendors are moving toward application-centric solid-state storage. The ioDrive Duo offers the enterprise the advantages of application-centric storage without application-specific programming."
The ioDrive Duo is based on PCI Express x8 or PCI Express 2.0 x4 standards, which can sustain up to 20Gbit/sec. raw throughput. The drive's sustained read rate is 1,500MB/sec. (using a 32KB packet size) and a sustained write rate of 1,400MB/sec.
The ioDrive Duo offers reliability with triple redundancy of parts for a single storage component; multibit error detection and correction; chip-level N+1 redundancy; and on-board self-healing so that no servicing is required, the company said.
The drives also offer optional RAID -1 mirroring two ioMemory modules on the same ioDrive Duo, offering complete redundancy on a single PCIe card.
The ioDrive Duo will be available in April 2009.
The company said that pricing for the new drives will be announced later. The current offerings are priced at "well under $30 per usable GB," it noted.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts