iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
Likely additions include MMS, video, turn-by-turn directions, maybe Flash
Computerworld - The timing of today's announcement from Apple Inc. that it will preview iPhone 3.0 next week is a sure sign that the company is on track to launch an updated phone this summer, analysts said.
Last year, Apple unveiled iPhone 2.0, and its supporting software developers kit, or SDK, in early March 2008. It then followed that with a coming-out party for the new iPhone 3G in June and sales in July.
Analysts unanimously agreed that the timing of next week's preview of iPhone 3.0 software and SDK points to a similar timetable for a refresh of Apple's hardware.
"I would expect the same timeline," said Jeff Kagan, an independent wireless and telecommunications analyst in Atlanta.
"Certainly makes sense," agreed Van Baker, an analyst at Gartner Inc. "You want the SDK out there to give developers time to come up with something."
Another benefit, added Baker, is the possibility that CEO Steve Jobs, who is on medical leave through the end of June, would make an appearance to launch a new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) -- the same venue he used last year to strut the iPhone 3G.
"If Steve comes back [for WWDC], that would be nice timing for Apple because everyone would get all excited that he's back," said Baker. "If that happens, the stars would all be aligned to give them quite the splash."
Apple has not published this year's WWDC schedule, but the event has been held during the first half of June for the past two years. Recent reports, meanwhile, have pegged the most likely dates as June 6-12, with the keynote -- where Jobs has traditionally trotted out new products -- on Monday, June 8.
The analysts also ticked off some of what they expect to see next week -- and this summer -- added to the iPhone's existing feature set.
Apple iPhone 3.0
- Instant analysis: With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opens the creativity coffers
- Apple struts iPhone 3.0, touts 100 new features
- Seth Weintraub: iPhone 3.0 Liveblog
- iPhone 3.0: 10 features that might make the cut
- Seth Weintraub: Why the iPhone 3.0 event might reveal a tablet
- iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
- Apple plans iPhone 3.0 preview
- Seth Weintraub: The next iPhone
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them
- BYOA: Embracing the Opportunity, Controlling the Risk
- Managing applications in the age of BYOA: Reclaiming IT's strategic role
- What Makes a Cloud Solution Truly Enterprise-Grade?
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS?
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges
- The BYOA Opportunity
- AppGuru Reference Guide: Conquer BYOA Challenges, Leverage BYOA Benefits
- Learn More About Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers
- IPv6 Fundamentals