iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
Likely additions include MMS, video, turn-by-turn directions, maybe Flash
Computerworld - The timing of today's announcement from Apple Inc. that it will preview iPhone 3.0 next week is a sure sign that the company is on track to launch an updated phone this summer, analysts said.
Last year, Apple unveiled iPhone 2.0, and its supporting software developers kit, or SDK, in early March 2008. It then followed that with a coming-out party for the new iPhone 3G in June and sales in July.
Analysts unanimously agreed that the timing of next week's preview of iPhone 3.0 software and SDK points to a similar timetable for a refresh of Apple's hardware.
"I would expect the same timeline," said Jeff Kagan, an independent wireless and telecommunications analyst in Atlanta.
"Certainly makes sense," agreed Van Baker, an analyst at Gartner Inc. "You want the SDK out there to give developers time to come up with something."
Another benefit, added Baker, is the possibility that CEO Steve Jobs, who is on medical leave through the end of June, would make an appearance to launch a new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) -- the same venue he used last year to strut the iPhone 3G.
"If Steve comes back [for WWDC], that would be nice timing for Apple because everyone would get all excited that he's back," said Baker. "If that happens, the stars would all be aligned to give them quite the splash."
Apple has not published this year's WWDC schedule, but the event has been held during the first half of June for the past two years. Recent reports, meanwhile, have pegged the most likely dates as June 6-12, with the keynote -- where Jobs has traditionally trotted out new products -- on Monday, June 8.
The analysts also ticked off some of what they expect to see next week -- and this summer -- added to the iPhone's existing feature set.
Apple iPhone 3.0
- Instant analysis: With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opens the creativity coffers
- Apple struts iPhone 3.0, touts 100 new features
- Seth Weintraub: iPhone 3.0 Liveblog
- iPhone 3.0: 10 features that might make the cut
- Seth Weintraub: Why the iPhone 3.0 event might reveal a tablet
- iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
- Apple plans iPhone 3.0 preview
- Seth Weintraub: The next iPhone
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW?
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It?
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security
- Transform IT: Transform the Enterprise
- Upstream Print Solutions improve customer service
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace
- The Truth About Cloud Security
- Case Study Adopting ITSM Tech to Support ITIL Initiatives
- The Wall Street Journal: CIO Journal
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line