iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
Likely additions include MMS, video, turn-by-turn directions, maybe Flash
Computerworld - The timing of today's announcement from Apple Inc. that it will preview iPhone 3.0 next week is a sure sign that the company is on track to launch an updated phone this summer, analysts said.
Last year, Apple unveiled iPhone 2.0, and its supporting software developers kit, or SDK, in early March 2008. It then followed that with a coming-out party for the new iPhone 3G in June and sales in July.
Analysts unanimously agreed that the timing of next week's preview of iPhone 3.0 software and SDK points to a similar timetable for a refresh of Apple's hardware.
"I would expect the same timeline," said Jeff Kagan, an independent wireless and telecommunications analyst in Atlanta.
"Certainly makes sense," agreed Van Baker, an analyst at Gartner Inc. "You want the SDK out there to give developers time to come up with something."
Another benefit, added Baker, is the possibility that CEO Steve Jobs, who is on medical leave through the end of June, would make an appearance to launch a new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) -- the same venue he used last year to strut the iPhone 3G.
"If Steve comes back [for WWDC], that would be nice timing for Apple because everyone would get all excited that he's back," said Baker. "If that happens, the stars would all be aligned to give them quite the splash."
Apple has not published this year's WWDC schedule, but the event has been held during the first half of June for the past two years. Recent reports, meanwhile, have pegged the most likely dates as June 6-12, with the keynote -- where Jobs has traditionally trotted out new products -- on Monday, June 8.
The analysts also ticked off some of what they expect to see next week -- and this summer -- added to the iPhone's existing feature set.
Apple iPhone 3.0
- Instant analysis: With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opens the creativity coffers
- Apple struts iPhone 3.0, touts 100 new features
- Seth Weintraub: iPhone 3.0 Liveblog
- iPhone 3.0: 10 features that might make the cut
- Seth Weintraub: Why the iPhone 3.0 event might reveal a tablet
- iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
- Apple plans iPhone 3.0 preview
- Seth Weintraub: The next iPhone
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- Path Selection Infographic
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- Cloud Computing eGuide
- The CIO's New Guide to Design of Global IT Infrastructure
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients
- Why Projects Fail
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights