iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
Likely additions include MMS, video, turn-by-turn directions, maybe Flash
Computerworld - The timing of today's announcement from Apple Inc. that it will preview iPhone 3.0 next week is a sure sign that the company is on track to launch an updated phone this summer, analysts said.
Last year, Apple unveiled iPhone 2.0, and its supporting software developers kit, or SDK, in early March 2008. It then followed that with a coming-out party for the new iPhone 3G in June and sales in July.
Analysts unanimously agreed that the timing of next week's preview of iPhone 3.0 software and SDK points to a similar timetable for a refresh of Apple's hardware.
"I would expect the same timeline," said Jeff Kagan, an independent wireless and telecommunications analyst in Atlanta.
"Certainly makes sense," agreed Van Baker, an analyst at Gartner Inc. "You want the SDK out there to give developers time to come up with something."
Another benefit, added Baker, is the possibility that CEO Steve Jobs, who is on medical leave through the end of June, would make an appearance to launch a new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) -- the same venue he used last year to strut the iPhone 3G.
"If Steve comes back [for WWDC], that would be nice timing for Apple because everyone would get all excited that he's back," said Baker. "If that happens, the stars would all be aligned to give them quite the splash."
Apple has not published this year's WWDC schedule, but the event has been held during the first half of June for the past two years. Recent reports, meanwhile, have pegged the most likely dates as June 6-12, with the keynote -- where Jobs has traditionally trotted out new products -- on Monday, June 8.
The analysts also ticked off some of what they expect to see next week -- and this summer -- added to the iPhone's existing feature set.
Apple iPhone 3.0
- Instant analysis: With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opens the creativity coffers
- Apple struts iPhone 3.0, touts 100 new features
- Seth Weintraub: iPhone 3.0 Liveblog
- iPhone 3.0: 10 features that might make the cut
- Seth Weintraub: Why the iPhone 3.0 event might reveal a tablet
- iPhone 3.0 preview points to new phone by June, say analysts
- Apple plans iPhone 3.0 preview
- Seth Weintraub: The next iPhone
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Benefits of Automated Log Management This paper discusses the challenges associated with effective log management and enables you to better define best practices and requirements for log management...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Macintosh White Papers |
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting
- The Benefits of Automated Log Management
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy
- 10GbE in the Data Center
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks
- Firewall Buyers Guide
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance
- The Cost Advantages of Using a Hosted Unified Communications Service: A TCO Guide for SMBs
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile
- 10GbE in the Data Center
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse