Amazon.com offers free Kindle e-book reader for iPhone
The move gives Kindle readers another way of reading e-books
IDG News Service - Amazon.com Inc. today released a Kindle e-book reader for Apple Inc.'s iPhone and iPod Touch, broadening the market for its e-book outlet and giving Kindle readers another way of reading e-books.
The free application, which is available on Apple's App Store, allows readers to automatically synchronize e-books and bookmarks with their Kindle or Kindle 2 e-book readers. The feature is designed to allow readers to continue reading their e-books when they don't have their Kindles with them.
The application also allows people to read e-books purchased at Amazon.com's Kindle Store without a Kindle reader, thus expanding the number of potential customers for e-books.
The release of the Kindle application for the iPhone and the iPod Touch music player follows the release last week of Amazon.com's Kindle 2 reader. Like the original Kindle, the Kindle 2 allows users to purchase and download e-books wirelessly from the Kindle Store. Users can also subscribe to Kindle versions of major newspapers and magazines, which are then delivered wirelessly to the readers.
Since the launch of Apple's App Store last summer, thousands of new applications have been released for the popular iPhone and iPod Touch.
Amazon Kindle 2
- Review: Kindle for iPhone -- the killer e-book app
- Amazon.com offers free Kindle e-book reader for iPhone
- Kindle iPhone app is 'huge,' says analyst
- Hands-on with the Amazon Kindle 2
- Amazon unveils thinner, lighter Kindle 2
- Shhh: Whispersync could be the real news out of Kindle 2
- Barbara Krasnoff: Kindle 2 -- will it save "long form" reading?
- Amazon Kindle: A road warrior's best friend
- Amazon and Google race for readers
- Mike Elgan: Here comes the e-book revolution
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!