Google unveils dashboard to alert users to Google Apps downtime
One day after Gmail outage, Google adds site where users can check status of its services
Computerworld - Just a day after Gmail users were hit with an e-mail outage that lasted two and a half hours and Google Chat users were attacked by phishers, Google Inc. introduced its new Google Apps Status Dashboard, which will immediately alert users to any problems with the hosted services.
The dashboard is designed to let users check on the current availability of the company's various services, which include Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Docs, Google Sites and Google Video, said Tessa Prescott, a member of the Google Apps sales team, in a blog post.
"We made a commitment last year to increase transparency and communication with Google Apps customers in several ways," wrote Prescott. "We heard your feedback around the need for better communication when issues like [Tuesday's] Gmail outage occur. The Google Apps Status Dashboard represents an additional layer of transparency that we believe will be particularly useful for our business users, and it's also relevant to users of our consumer products."
Tuesday's Gmail outage affected users around the world. Reports came in that users could not access their e-mail in-boxes or that they had to wait a minute or more for them to open.
"The problem with services like Gmail is that every outage is highlighted in the press, and rightfully so," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group Inc., in an interview earlier this week. "The companies pitch these services as dependable and easy substitutes for higher-cost alternatives, but a widespread and long-lasting outage like this really hurts that claim. While some people might shrug off a failure like this, it can cause real hardships for some users and have an impact on their lives and businesses."
Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant at U.K.-based security firm Sophos PLC, said yesterday that Tuesday's phishing attack, which was aimed at stealing Gmail usernames and passwords, spread through Gmail's Google Talk instant messaging system.
Prescott noted in her blog that the new dashboard is available to users around the world to check for information on Google Apps availability.
- Google suffers major failure
- Should Google's Gmail outages turn you off to SaaS?
- Google unveils dashboard to alert users to Google Apps downtime
- Google unveils Search Options and Google Squared
- What Google knows about you: More than your mom
- 6 ways to protect your privacy on Google
- Google's unveils search tool to help make sense of public data
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts