Google unveils dashboard to alert users to Google Apps downtime
One day after Gmail outage, Google adds site where users can check status of its services
Computerworld - Just a day after Gmail users were hit with an e-mail outage that lasted two and a half hours and Google Chat users were attacked by phishers, Google Inc. introduced its new Google Apps Status Dashboard, which will immediately alert users to any problems with the hosted services.
The dashboard is designed to let users check on the current availability of the company's various services, which include Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Docs, Google Sites and Google Video, said Tessa Prescott, a member of the Google Apps sales team, in a blog post.
"We made a commitment last year to increase transparency and communication with Google Apps customers in several ways," wrote Prescott. "We heard your feedback around the need for better communication when issues like [Tuesday's] Gmail outage occur. The Google Apps Status Dashboard represents an additional layer of transparency that we believe will be particularly useful for our business users, and it's also relevant to users of our consumer products."
Tuesday's Gmail outage affected users around the world. Reports came in that users could not access their e-mail in-boxes or that they had to wait a minute or more for them to open.
"The problem with services like Gmail is that every outage is highlighted in the press, and rightfully so," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group Inc., in an interview earlier this week. "The companies pitch these services as dependable and easy substitutes for higher-cost alternatives, but a widespread and long-lasting outage like this really hurts that claim. While some people might shrug off a failure like this, it can cause real hardships for some users and have an impact on their lives and businesses."
Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant at U.K.-based security firm Sophos PLC, said yesterday that Tuesday's phishing attack, which was aimed at stealing Gmail usernames and passwords, spread through Gmail's Google Talk instant messaging system.
Prescott noted in her blog that the new dashboard is available to users around the world to check for information on Google Apps availability.
- Google suffers major failure
- Should Google's Gmail outages turn you off to SaaS?
- Google unveils dashboard to alert users to Google Apps downtime
- Google unveils Search Options and Google Squared
- What Google knows about you: More than your mom
- 6 ways to protect your privacy on Google
- Google's unveils search tool to help make sense of public data
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Clearing the Network Hurdle to Cloud Deployment Although enthusiasm is high among IT pros for cloud services, an IDG Research Quick Poll survey found that, in fact, the cloud is...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!