Microsoft takes TomTom to court in patent dispute
The fight is over the GPS vendor's in-car navigation devices
IDG News Service - Microsoft on Wednesday filed a lawsuit against TomTom, alleging that the GPS vendor's in-car navigation devices infringe on its patents.
Microsoft is alleging that TomTom is infringing eight patents, including five that enhance the user experience and connectivity on navigation devices including GPS devices and personal digital assistants (PDA). Microsoft is seeking damages and relief from TomTom.
The legal action was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Microsoft also filed a patent infringement complaint against TomTom with the U.S. International Trade Commission on Wednesday.
Microsoft engaged in discussions with TomTom to license the technologies, but an agreement could not be reached, said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel at Microsoft. The software giant had "no choice but to pursue legal action to protect our innovations and our partners who license them," Gutierrez said.
TomTom did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
TomTom's portable navigation devices run a version of the Linux operating system to provide driving directions and other functions. Microsoft said that five of the patents focus on improving in-car navigation technology, including the ability to run multiple applications, virtual on-screen tools and wireless Internet connectivity.
The remaining three patents relate to file management, enabling "efficient naming, organizing, storing and accessing of file data," a Microsoft spokeswoman said.
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts