Microsoft takes TomTom to court in patent dispute
The fight is over the GPS vendor's in-car navigation devices
IDG News Service - Microsoft on Wednesday filed a lawsuit against TomTom, alleging that the GPS vendor's in-car navigation devices infringe on its patents.
Microsoft is alleging that TomTom is infringing eight patents, including five that enhance the user experience and connectivity on navigation devices including GPS devices and personal digital assistants (PDA). Microsoft is seeking damages and relief from TomTom.
The legal action was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Microsoft also filed a patent infringement complaint against TomTom with the U.S. International Trade Commission on Wednesday.
Microsoft engaged in discussions with TomTom to license the technologies, but an agreement could not be reached, said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel at Microsoft. The software giant had "no choice but to pursue legal action to protect our innovations and our partners who license them," Gutierrez said.
TomTom did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
TomTom's portable navigation devices run a version of the Linux operating system to provide driving directions and other functions. Microsoft said that five of the patents focus on improving in-car navigation technology, including the ability to run multiple applications, virtual on-screen tools and wireless Internet connectivity.
The remaining three patents relate to file management, enabling "efficient naming, organizing, storing and accessing of file data," a Microsoft spokeswoman said.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts