Iron Mountain aims cloud-based storage service at inactive data
Off-site storage vendor adds Virtual File Store service for archiving static data files
The new Virtual File Store (VFS), offered through the Boston-based vendor's Iron Mountain Digital division, is being pitched as an enterprise-class archiving service that gives users a lower-cost means of storing and managing static data files than keeping them on in-house systems does.
John Clancy, president of Iron Mountain Digital, said in a statement that the online storage service is targeted at the "50% to 60% of corporate data" that is inactive.
"Storing all that data in-house is not a sustainable storage strategy for companies today that are faced with soaring storage costs and shrinking IT budgets," Clancy claimed. He added that VFS can free up "precious storage resources" for users while ensuring that archived data is secure and easily accessible if needed for electronic discovery or other purposes.
Elliott Townsend, IT manager at Bruns-Pak Corp. in Edison, N.J., said as part of Iron Mountain's announcement that the data center design and construction services firm is currently using VFS along with Iron Mountain Digital's LiveVault service for backing up server data. The combination gives Bruns-Pak "an extremely robust and cost-effective disaster recovery solution," Townsend said.
Iron Mountain said VFS offers virtually unlimited storage capacity and can be integrated with a company's existing storage infrastructure to migrate inactive files to the vendor's data centers over a VPN. Authorized users can then retrieve files on an on-demand basis via a secure Internet connection, and applications can be set to automatically access data as needed.
The new service is priced on a gigabyte-per-month fee that factors in the length of retention time as well as the amount of data being stored, according to Iron Mountain. But representatives of the company were unable to give specific cost information today.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts