Web application platform Coghead shuts down
One competitor already moves in, offering special deal to Coghead customers
In a letter to customers posted on TechCrunch, the start-up cited "economic challenges" as the reason for its decision.
Customers will be allowed to use the service until April 30 on an unsupported basis and should retrieve their data by that date.
One competitor, Caspio, quickly seized on the news, announcing a "transition program" today that would provide Coghead customers with two months' free use of its platform, training and other services.
Coghead officials could not immediately be reached for additional comment.
The Redwood City, Calif., company, which highlights its platform's ease of use and lower cost compared to traditional in-house development, was formed in 2003 and is just one of a wide range of so-called PaaS (platform as a service) vendors. Others include Salesforce.com's Force.com, Google App Engine and Microsoft's Azure Services Platform.
In a recent report, Forrester Research analyst John Rymer said companies should consider using PaaS offerings but also noted the inherent risks.
"Most of the PaaS vendors -- even big ones like Google and Microsoft and experienced ones like Salesforce.com -- have short track records with their products," he wrote. "Treat these companies and their products as you would any start-up vendor or version-one product from an established supplier. Does the vendor have a healthy and growing roster of customers? Is the product line making money?"
PaaS products also provide users with less flexibility than typical on-premise platforms, since the PaaS vendor tends to dictate the database, storage and application framework used, and may even employ a custom programming language, Rymer said.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts