Web application platform Coghead shuts down
One competitor already moves in, offering special deal to Coghead customers
In a letter to customers posted on TechCrunch, the start-up cited "economic challenges" as the reason for its decision.
Customers will be allowed to use the service until April 30 on an unsupported basis and should retrieve their data by that date.
One competitor, Caspio, quickly seized on the news, announcing a "transition program" today that would provide Coghead customers with two months' free use of its platform, training and other services.
Coghead officials could not immediately be reached for additional comment.
The Redwood City, Calif., company, which highlights its platform's ease of use and lower cost compared to traditional in-house development, was formed in 2003 and is just one of a wide range of so-called PaaS (platform as a service) vendors. Others include Salesforce.com's Force.com, Google App Engine and Microsoft's Azure Services Platform.
In a recent report, Forrester Research analyst John Rymer said companies should consider using PaaS offerings but also noted the inherent risks.
"Most of the PaaS vendors -- even big ones like Google and Microsoft and experienced ones like Salesforce.com -- have short track records with their products," he wrote. "Treat these companies and their products as you would any start-up vendor or version-one product from an established supplier. Does the vendor have a healthy and growing roster of customers? Is the product line making money?"
PaaS products also provide users with less flexibility than typical on-premise platforms, since the PaaS vendor tends to dictate the database, storage and application framework used, and may even employ a custom programming language, Rymer said.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts