Google News suffers 14-hour glitch
Google: Problem causing some searches for 'Microsoft,' 'Google' to come up empty is fixed
The problems started around 12:45 a.m. Eastern Time today and lasted until about 3 p.m. ET, according to a Google spokeswoman. Some users reported that they weren't getting any results when they were searching for keywords, such as "Microsoft" and even "Google," in Google News. Other users reported that entire news sections, such as Science/Technology, were coming up empty of any stories. Some also reported getting the following message on a blank Google news page: "Please try again shortly. We apologize that this section is currently unavailable."
"This issue has now been resolved," the spokeswoman said in an e-mail response to questions from Computerworld. "We know how important Google News is to our users, so we take issues like this very seriously."
Google did not say what caused the problem.
In December, Google confirmed that there was a technical problem with Google Talk and the Web-based Gmail chat system. One day early in the month, messages created by a "subset" of users were left unsent because of glitches in the messaging system, according to Andrew Kovacs, a spokesman for Google.
Users largely received an alert noting that their messages had not been sent, though that didn't happen in every case. Kovacs would not disclose the cause of that problem, noting that Google normally doesn't share technical details on what he called minor problems.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Web Apps White Papers |