Google News suffers 14-hour glitch
Google: Problem causing some searches for 'Microsoft,' 'Google' to come up empty is fixed
The problems started around 12:45 a.m. Eastern Time today and lasted until about 3 p.m. ET, according to a Google spokeswoman. Some users reported that they weren't getting any results when they were searching for keywords, such as "Microsoft" and even "Google," in Google News. Other users reported that entire news sections, such as Science/Technology, were coming up empty of any stories. Some also reported getting the following message on a blank Google news page: "Please try again shortly. We apologize that this section is currently unavailable."
"This issue has now been resolved," the spokeswoman said in an e-mail response to questions from Computerworld. "We know how important Google News is to our users, so we take issues like this very seriously."
Google did not say what caused the problem.
In December, Google confirmed that there was a technical problem with Google Talk and the Web-based Gmail chat system. One day early in the month, messages created by a "subset" of users were left unsent because of glitches in the messaging system, according to Andrew Kovacs, a spokesman for Google.
Users largely received an alert noting that their messages had not been sent, though that didn't happen in every case. Kovacs would not disclose the cause of that problem, noting that Google normally doesn't share technical details on what he called minor problems.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts