Mozilla confirms 'showstopper' bug in mobile browser preview
Memory problem in Fennec for Windows Mobile makes it 'basically useless,' says developer
The preview, which Mozilla delivered a week ago, was the first build of the company's mobile browser, dubbed "Fennec," to run on Microsoft's mobile operating system. Previously, Mozilla had issued a version that ran only on Nokia Corp.'s Tablet Internet device, or on Windows or Mac OS X computers.
But after Mozilla released Fennec for Windows Mobile, some testers, including reviewers at AppScout.com, reported that the browser would not load pages. Instead, the browser only displayed a checkerboard-like screen.
On Saturday, Mozilla developer Mark Finkle confirmed the bug and said the problem appeared to be memory related. "Windows Mobile has some exciting restrictions around memory use," Finkle said. "[But] there are ways to get around the restrictions and that's what we are working on."
Finkle called the problem a "showstopper," but reminded users that Fennec for Windows Mobile was designated "pre-alpha," and that the purpose of testing was to put the browser through the ringer.
"We hoped [the pre-alpha] would help us find bugs that didn't show up on our test devices," Finkle said in a post to his blog. "We knew there would be problems lurking around, so we wanted to get a preview version into the hands of more testers. The good news is we found a showstopper! The bad news is the browser is basically useless for many people."
According to the flaw's Bugzilla listing, developers have been able to reproduce the bug, but no fix has been crafted.
Mozilla is late to the mobile browser party. Opera Software ASA's flagship browser currently leads the market, while Safari handles Internet duties on Apple Inc.'s iPhone. Windows Mobile, meanwhile, includes Microsoft's Internet Explorer Mobile, which is based on that company's desktop browser's rendering engine.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more