HP upgrades its PC blade desktop alternative
Citrix XenDesktop virtualization tool bundled with new HP blade family
HP unveiled its first PC blades in 2003, and last unveiled new systems about a year ago.
The new systems will ship in two blade configurations: the bc2200 with a single-core AMD Athlon processor, and the higher performing bc2800 with a dual-core AMD Turion processor. The new systems also include an expanded 80GB disk drive.
PC blade experts noted that the systems can be managed centrally, which has a strong appeal to IT managers in the health care industry and in government. Blade PCs are also targeted at call centers. However, despite HP's efforts to replace half of corporate desktop systems with blade PCs, the market for the newer technology remains relatively small.
Mark Bowker, an analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group in Milford, Mass., said that to date, most of the users adopting PC blades are trying to solve a niche problem. Over the longer term, he added, compliance issues will increasingly drive the adoption of blade PCs and virtual systems. The ability to centralize control of such systems "within the four walls of a data center is absolutely something people are going to look at going forward."
Read more about PCs in Computerworld's PCs Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts