HP upgrades its PC blade desktop alternative
Citrix XenDesktop virtualization tool bundled with new HP blade family
HP unveiled its first PC blades in 2003, and last unveiled new systems about a year ago.
The new systems will ship in two blade configurations: the bc2200 with a single-core AMD Athlon processor, and the higher performing bc2800 with a dual-core AMD Turion processor. The new systems also include an expanded 80GB disk drive.
PC blade experts noted that the systems can be managed centrally, which has a strong appeal to IT managers in the health care industry and in government. Blade PCs are also targeted at call centers. However, despite HP's efforts to replace half of corporate desktop systems with blade PCs, the market for the newer technology remains relatively small.
Mark Bowker, an analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group in Milford, Mass., said that to date, most of the users adopting PC blades are trying to solve a niche problem. Over the longer term, he added, compliance issues will increasingly drive the adoption of blade PCs and virtual systems. The ability to centralize control of such systems "within the four walls of a data center is absolutely something people are going to look at going forward."
Read more about PCs in Computerworld's PCs Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts