Symantec to deliver cloud-based backup service
Symantec joins Carbonite and EMC's Mozy in online consumer backup
Computerworld - Symantec Corp. will begin offering an online storage service targeted at consumers by the end of next month.
The product is based on technology that the company acquired with SwapDrive Inc. in June for $124 million.
A Symantec spokeswoman would not provide any additional details other than saying that the service will be a "stand-alone, cloud-based, online backup offering."
Symantec already offers 2GB of online storage for free with its Norton 360 security suite; additional allotments of 5GB, 10GB and 25GB a year can be purchased for $29.99, $49.99 and $69.99, respectively.
Privately held Carbonite Inc. also offers online storage, charging $49.95 for a 12-month subscription.
Read more about Storage Software in Computerworld's Storage Software Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts