Aster Data launches cloud edition of analytic database
IDG News Service - Aster Data Systems' nCluster relational database for high-end data analysis can now be deployed on the cloud infrastructure platforms from Amazon Web Services and AppNexus, Aster said Tuesday.
The nCluster system breaks up workloads across three tiers. One deals with data loading and export to and from external sources; a "worker" layer stores data for querying; and a set of "queen" nodes handles intelligent query planning and processing. Meanwhile, users work with the cluster as if it were a single entity. The three-tier system also allows users greater resource-scaling flexibility, Aster says.
In addition, nCluster has support for MapReduce, a parallel programming framework developed by Google for analyzing large sets of data across commodity hardware. Pricing for nCluster starts at US$100,000 per year.
Aster's technical approach is only one of many among the wide range of players in the analytic data-warehousing arena, from established vendors like Teradata to newer ones such as Greenplum, said analyst Curt Monash, founder of Monash Research.
Many of Aster's customers, which include MySpace, "are in some way or another in the Internet business, measuring Internet activity. A lot of that data resides away from the [customer's] place of business," Monash said. It therefore makes sense that Aster would push its software to the cloud, he said.
Other companies are using cloud services for temporary data-analysis projects or testing purposes, but overall EC2 and its peers are "not a big part" of the analytic database market right now, Monash said.
Aster is planning to add support for other cloud providers but has no firm timetable right now, according to company officials.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts